Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Diagnosis Day

I want to start off this post by saying how amazed I am at the response to this blog.  The fact that so many of you care and are finding encouragement through this really means a lot to me.  I'm working on a whole post dedicated just to the support we've received so far, so I'll spend more time writing about it there, but just the fact that so many of you are following this makes me know that we're not going through this alone by any means. 

So today I had my appointment at Lahey with my oncologist, Dr. D'Silva to discuss the results of the biopsy and the recommended treatment plan.  My parents came over to pick me up and Tiffany would meet us there after she dropped Genevieve off at ballet class this morning.  My sister Erin graciously offered to pick Genevieve up from class and take her to her house for a few hours after.  We met up in the waiting room and soon after we were called in.  No blood work today, just a visit with the doctor, so the four of us crowded in the small exam room and waited for him to join us. 


Dr. D'Silva came in and asked how I was recovering from the biopsy disaster.  I told him I was doing well and showed him the incision on my stomach.  Then he got right to the point.  "You have non-Hodgkin's follicular grade 3B lymphoma.  Because the tumor is larger than 10cm, it is treated exactly the same as diffused large B cell lymphoma.  It is curable, but in your case since you are so young, we consider it 'treatable' as there is such a long period after where it will probably come back."  Curable.  Treatable.  These were good words that I wanted to hear.  "Curable" refers to the high 5 year survival rate, so obviously since I have a long time after that to live, the odds of it coming back sometime down the road are greater, but I'm not worried about that right now.

The treatment is chemotherapy with a regimen called R-CHOP which stands for the names of the 5 drugs in it.  The treatment lasts for about 5 months; 6 cycles of 3 weeks each and may be followed by radio immunotherapy, which consists of radioactive injections to further kill off the cancer cells.  I have an appointment next week with the director of the lymphoma center at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Jeremy Abramson, to provide a second opinion on the diagnosis and treatment plan and then my first treatment will be on April 1st.  I'm also scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to have a port implanted in my chest, which will allow access for the chemotherapy for the duration of treatment.  We'll also be back at Lahey next week for a teaching session.  This is where a nurse will go through all of the details of the chemotherapy with us to help us adjust to what life will be like for the next 6 months.

I know that the road is not going to be easy, but I'm filled with hope.  Even though this is what we expected to hear, the news hit Tiffany hard.  She doesn't want to watch me suffer and I'm sure it's a helpless feeling.  The side effects are supposedly nausea, vomiting and fatigue, and although there are drugs that can help, there is no way to totally avoid them.  It's still a trade I will gladly make to get rid of the cancer.  I read this verse this morning that encouraged me in Psalm 27:13-14 "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."  The land of the living.  Yes.  

After the appointment Tiffany and I stopped at a nearby Applebee's for lunch.  It's rare that we can do that with just the two of us, so we took advantage since her mom had Nadia and Genevieve was with my sister.  Once we sat down I looked up and noticed who was plastered on the wall in front of me: non-Hodgkin's lymphoma survivor Jon Lester, so I took that as another good sign.  


Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma survivor Jon Lester

This song has been on my heart lately.  I may not like the road I have to take, but I know who is by my side.


18 comments:

  1. Hate that you have to go through this journey Joe, but so very proud of the way you are handling yourself. You are a light to others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe I just thought I would write (this is Jeremiahs sister Heidi). We are supporting you from KY. Know that our prayers are here for you! Know that "Where ever one or more are gathered God is there!". God Bless! The Coghills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe... this is hard and under the circumstances this is good news. So many people care for you and your precious family, and will support you and those you love dearly as you take each stop. It must be scary. Psalm 23 comes to mind... we fear no evil when He is with us. All the best from us here in Boston, and we will be reading your story as you tell it each step. God bless you and Keep you, make His face to shine on you.. and give you peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi. Psalm 23 has come alive in a new way for me lately and it is so true.

      Delete
  4. Joe, I agree wholeheartedly with the other posts!! You attitude is awesome and beyond words. Your strength and will are amazing!!! Cancer is an awful diagnosis and not one to take lightly, speaking from my own personal experience. You have an amazing support system near and far, hang on to that!!! You've got this, Joe, I know you do!!!!!! I can feel it!!!! Hugs to all and continued prayers are coming your way!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are faithful! Nothing formed against you will stand! love it! The God of Angel Armies is always by your side for sure and so are we! Praise God! He has an amazing plan for you...this is a tough test but you will get through it and it will be better than you could ever dream. We love you! BIG Hugs and Kisses to all! Love Brian and Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, You have the faith to move mountains. You have been getting good signs right along. The picture of Jon Lester was amazing. My prayers continue every day and often, for you, Tiffany and the girls as well as the whole family. I love you lots. Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a testimony of God's grace and mercy in your life! You are being used mightily as an instrument of courage and strength in the Lord! My prayers are with you and our trust is in God alone! Love you guys, Maddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement Maddy. You and Tom are role models for us, especially during this time, so your words hold much weight with us.

      Delete
  8. Joe - my mom is in remission from Diffuse Large B Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma....you are such a fighter, I know you will come through with flying colors like she did. She went through the R-CHOP regime and you will see side effects, but you will make it! As an outsider, it is tough to watch someone you love go through, so I can relate to Tiffany's reaction....you feel helpless. Make sure she talks about her feelings with someone, she can't bottle them in. This blog will definitely help you in that respect. You have an amazing support system (I first read about your story through Patrick Mullen who I used to work with). God speed on your journey to remission and health.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe, you know that you and Tiffany have always held such a special place in my heart. I am totally overwhelmed by your story. In good ways-so proud to know you both, and in painful ways-to know the difficult time you are faced with. Thank you so much, for sharing your story with us all. I have been thinking of you, praying for you, sharing your story and asking for prayers daily since hearing the news. We are here for you in any way you need us to be. Thank you for being so brave, and inspiring me (and many others) through your experience.

    ReplyDelete