Tuesday, April 22, 2014

One Down

Today was my appointment for the second cycle of chemo so I've now officially completed one round.  One down, five to go.  The timing worked out well as we were able to enjoy Easter with family on Sunday while I was feeling good.  It was just Tiffany and I this morning for the 8:00am appointment and the day started with the now familiar routine of vital signs and blood work.  My white blood counts were low last week, which was expected, so they needed to be above a certain level today. Otherwise I would have needed medication to stimulate white cell growth before getting chemo.  Thankfully they were back above the level they needed to be and the nurse proceeded with the regimen.  The whole process still took about 7 hours, but I felt like this time was easier.  Knowing what to expect made a huge difference so I wasn't worried about getting a reaction every time a new drug was added.  I spent most of the time reading and listening to music, although it's difficult to focus on reading with all of the drugs.

Cycle 2 in the shirt from my Spartan family, Al and Collette

I also feel like I have an idea of how the weeks themselves will play out during each cycle.  This takes some of the stress away and the fear of the unknown.  The first week is generally unpleasant, the second week is pretty good, and the third week is when I am the most tired until a few days before the end..  Since the chemo is cumulative, this pattern will get more intense and possibly change, but I'm thankful that I'm not going to feel how I do the first week for the entire 5 months.  The bad days really do make the good days so much better.

As I'm sitting here typing, I've been unconsciously feeling my newly grown beard and noticing the hair on my hands.  My hair is falling out.  It was fun while it lasted, but I'll be shaving it off with the rest of my hair tonight.  This is a part of the process that can be traumatic for a lot of people that go through it, but I'm okay with it.  I can understand why it's hard though.  Up until this point there was no way anyone would know I have cancer unless I told them (or they read this blog) because I still look normal.  Now my appearance will be broadcasting to the world that I am a cancer patient.  Personally, I look at it as a sign that the drugs are doing their job and the hair loss is just collateral damage.  Plus I have some cool new hats and sunglasses to wear.  Maybe my attitude will change after getting the stares and/or awkward comments from strangers, but those things are outside of my control.  I've dealt with minor disappointments in my life in the past by holding to the idea that "my circumstances do not determine my character; my character determines how I respond to my circumstances" and that's how I'm approaching this as well.  Full disclosure: I learned that after dealing with disappointments the wrong way early on.

 I hope this post is coherent because I'm a little "foggy" tonight but I wanted to write.  I'll end with something that my good friend's dad told me after church on Sunday that I wanted to share: "Every setback is just a setup for a comeback."  That is the truth. 

It's all about perspective, so like this song says I'm doin' alright.


2 comments:

  1. Joe, I love this blog to stay in touch with how your journey is going. I love your perspective and attitude. You give a perspective from the patients eye that many of us wouldn't have other wise, as a nurse you help me understand my patients better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you and your family joe. If anyone can beat this it's you. Ill be praying for you and following your blog. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete