Sunday, June 8, 2014

One Day at a Time

I'm an optimist.  I try to look for the opportunity in every situation and view the glass as "half-full" for the most part.  That's how I'm wired and I know it has helped me keep a positive attitude throughout this ordeal.  Perspective is important when dealing with any trial, because no matter what, it could always be worse.   But I also want to be realistic.  I can recall one time shortly after I had my surgery where I was a little too optimistic and not realistic enough.  I had a visitor and I started not feeling well, but I kept saying I was fine.  I wasn't very convincing, so luckily she didn't believe me and left me to rest before I likely would have passed out. 

Having said that, this past week has been rough.  I had my fourth round of chemo last Tuesday and round four definitely packed more of a punch.  The infusion takes all day, so I was at the clinic for the usual seven hours and everything went fine.  A couple hours after I got home, though, the nausea came on really strong.  Up until this point, the anti-nausea drugs did a good job of managing it, so I wasn't really prepared for it to hit like that.  I spent the rest of the night curled up on the couch.  After a fitful night of sleep, I woke up the next day around noon.  I can't remember the last time I slept past 9am, let alone noon.  I overheard Tiffany telling the girls to sit down and eat, so I figured it was for breakfast, but she was feeding them lunch when I woke up.  I still felt awful and spent most of the day on the couch.  I tried to keep up my routine of nutrition and hydration, and even managed to get out for a short walk, but all of the symptoms were just more intense this time.  The next night I couldn't fall asleep until close to midnight and then I was up the next day at 4:30am.   The combination of the chemo drugs that make me sick and tired and the steroids that make me agitated and unable to sleep is, well, unique.  I joke that when I lose my patience with the girls (which happens much more easily the first week after chemo) and try to yell at them to stop coloring on the windows/ stop stabbing the TV/ etc., I physically can not raise my voice so my I'm forced to just let it go.  Silver linings.

I know, how could anyone lose their patience with these little angels?


The nausea started going away on Saturday which was a relief.  The other thing that came back this time was the emotional blandness or void that I initially talked about a few weeks ago.  I've since learned the clinical term for it: anhedonia.  It's defined as "the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable, e.g. exercise, hobbies, music, or social interactions."  This describes it perfectly.  My doctor prescribed me an antidepressant earlier, but I've decided not to take it.  Mentally, I know what the source of the problem is and I know it's a temporary thing, so that allows me to push through.  The antidepressant would take about six weeks to start working anyway and by that time I'll be almost done with chemo.  I just wasn't comfortable with changing my brain chemistry only to turn around and have to wean back off of the medication again. 

I've been trying to figure out why this cycle was harder than the others.  Did I overdo it last weekend by running the race?  Did I get overconfident from the good news about being in remission?  Did I lapse too much in what I ate and drank before Tuesday?  I missed yoga and acupuncture last week, so maybe that was it.  Or it's just entirely possible that what they say is true and chemotherapy is cumulative, so it's just going to get worse.  I try to look for whatever control I can have over the situation, which is natural I guess.  In this case there is very little that can be controlled, so I just have to take each day as it comes and continue to persevere.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.



James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”



5 comments:

  1. Wow Joe.. thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey. Can't imagine what you're going through but can count myself blessed to be able to stand beside you in prayer.

    You ARE truly a warrior who is inspirational Paul and I are praying... Blessings to you, Tiff and you're girls (and that baby boy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are continuous for you, Tiffany & the girls. I love you Lots. Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying through these last rounds of chemo, Joe, and for Tiffany and the girls. Blessings, Susan and Ellie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, bud it is cumulative. My 4th round hit me like a ton of bricks, as well. You are much stronger than you think -- and way more strong than cancer. You will kick it's ass! Sending healing thoughts and prayers, always. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joe, thinking of you and missing you at PMI-NH. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete