Thursday, June 26, 2014

Updates, #5 Down, and Bald Eagles

In my last post a couple weeks ago I talked about dealing with an increase in the chemo side effects.  It did get better after that first week and I went along with life as usual (as much as can be expected during this phase of life.)  I noticed that I never really seemed to gain back as much energy by the end of the 3 week cycle as I had in the past, which is something I was aware would happen.  After the first couple of cycles I would I say I got back up to 80-90% of my energy levels by the time the next treatment came due.  This time, when it came time for cycle #5 yesterday, I was maybe at 75% and my white blood cell counts were the lowest they have been so far on treatment day (but still above the threshold where I could get the chemo.)  My eyebrows are still thinning while hanging on for dear life.  I made a comment to Tiffany while looking at some recent pictures that I'm actually looking like a cancer patient now.  I'm not self conscious about it because what else should I expect to look like now, right?

I went in for round 5 yesterday and the good news is that after 24 hours I'm feeling better than I did last time.  Chemo is mysterious in that other than it being cumulative, the doctors and nurses can never predict how you are going to react to it physically.  That doesn't stop me from asking every time, but the answer is always "everyone responds differently."  It's like that warning on mutual funds: "past performance is not a guarantee of future results."  But that leads me to believe there are things I can control and ways I can prepare my body that may help.  I was admittedly more lax with my nutrition last time before cycle 4 and possibly overdid it with the amount of activity in the days leading up to treatment (got a little overconfident after the good news about being in remission already), so I focused on those areas this time.   I made sure to eat as clean as possible in the 72 hours leading up to chemo, cleanse my system with lots of green drink, and hydrate with distilled water.  I also got a vitamin B12 and B6 shot at acupuncture on Monday for energy (B12) and nausea (B6.)  I tried to rest more this time (in between selling one of our cars and buying a minivan last week.)  The evenings are usually the worst, but so far so good.  Thank you for all of your continued prayers.

Round 5 in my new Suvivor shirt - thanks Jen!

This past Sunday our church also hosted a head shaving event and fundraiser for us called Operation Bald Eagle.  Words can't express how grateful we are and it's a day that Tiffany and I will remember forever.  I'm not sure how many people had their heads shaved, but it was way more than I expected, and even included some people who I had never met before who were moved by our story.  People also donated desserts that were auctioned off, along with sponsors who donated items for the auction and raffle as well as t-shirts that were sold.  The local news even showed up and I ended up on TV that night (further solidifying my reputation as a slow talker...awesome.)  There were so many volunteers that helped with the organization and execution of the event and I pray that you will be blessed a hundredfold for your sacrifices.  Special thanks to my parents for their hard work and passion about this.  Also special thanks to Bill Traver for creating that J Strong logo when this all started - as you can see below it was used all over the event (your royalty check is in the mail, buddy.)

At Operation Bald Eagle

Brother in law, sister in law, cousin and nephew getting in on the action

With my uncle Jeff after he shaved off his ample head of hair...
My sister is one of the hardest working moms, nurses, volunteers I know


At this point, while I recover over the next week or so, I can still say I only have ONE MORE round of chemo left, so I got that going for me, which is nice.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Great post! Great pictures! Lots of Love, Val <3

    ReplyDelete